Monday, March 01, 2004

Oklahoma

It galls me that I don't think I can check off Oklahoma. When I was in Wichita, Kansas with Habitat for Humanity, I'm pretty sure we talked about driving south and going into Oklahoma just for the heck of it. But I'm also pretty sure we never did it. (We spent 48 hours in a van that week just to get to Kansas and back, so I guess it's understandable.)

Then a few years later, my friend and I did a week-long driving trip around the south, going from Nashville to New Orleans to Houston to Dallas/Fort Worth to Caddo Valley, Ark. where I left my transmission (long story for another time), and back to Nashville. I'm pretty sure I drove through Texarkana, which is only about a quarter inch from Oklahoma on the map.

So I had two perfectly-good opportunities to set foot in Oklahoma, and I flubbed them both. Oh, well... Next time I have an opportunity to visit, I'll snap it up. Although perhaps I should learn more about it first -- the only thing I know off the top of my head is that it's "where the wind comes sweeping down the plains."

No comments: